Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Flag thing...

I signed the petition to hold a referendum for a new flag at lunchtime.

The usual reasons, it looks too much like the Ocker flag, the Union Flag is an anachronism, it's really boring, etc.

Problem is, I suspect should the referendum go ahead, and the nation collectively calls for a new symbol, I'll have little say in which design replaces the current, and will probably hate it!! Never overestimate the taste of the referendum participating public. Or don't expect to agree with it anyway. Besides, I wonder who gets to choose?

NZFlag.com has some proposed designs, some by well known artists which IMO are hideous. However, there is one design, from the school flags design competition that I could live with. Maybe even salute now & then.



Way to go Matthew Kershaw, year 10 student at havelock North High School!!