Friday, January 27, 2006

You learn something everyday...

I have used the word "segue" now & then. And you know what? I always thought it was pronouced "seeg". Imagine my anxiety when on TV the other night I heard someone say "segway" in much the same context as I've always used "seeg".

So with some trepidation, because to my mind, the "seeg" pronunciation is far more aesthetically pleasing to my ear, and also a whole economical syllable less... I consulted an oracle:

Dictionary.com/segue

Motherfucker... that's the last time I use that word.

In earlier pronunciation disappointment & dispute...

1. I recall when I discovered "cojones" was pronounced "cohoneys". Man, what a gyp! "Co-jones" sounds so much funnier. I mean, if you have cause to use such a word.

2. I also recall my dad making a semi convincing argument for pronouncing "tyranosaurus", as "tyro-nossorus". I presume he was joking, but please do let me know if that's been your understanding all along.