Wednesday, August 30, 2006

At least he didn't say "cunt".

Some interesting musings on the inexplicability of the American film classification system: what gets a PG rating & what gets an R (one "fuck" gets the former, 2 gets the latter.)

Berardinelli used the word (not for the first time I'm sure) a little while back on his site & had some prudish readers complain. He's really gone to town this time.

ReelViews: James Berardinelli's Reel Thoughts

I remember the first time I said "fuck" in front of my mum. I'd have been about 15, we were both in the kitchen, she asked me what I & my friends had got up to the evening before.

I started off saying "Oh, we were just fooling around", but half way through I decided to say "mucking around" instead. A tongue twister ensued.

There was a moment's silence as we both realised what I'd said. Then she burst out laughing & said "you didn't mean to say that did you?"

I also remember the first time I heard my mum use the word, I was probably in my 30s by then.