Thursday, September 06, 2007

Team Building

So. A Team Building (TM) day is on tomorrow. This means a (slight) sleep in, then I'm packing the dog, the cat & other stuff including beer & wine into the Beast (our major contribution to Global Warming) & heading into the barbarian suburbs to pick up colleagues.

Then, any number of us will congregate someplace about an hour & 15 minutes north (after dropping off the cat at SunnyO on the way - the dog will participate in the frivolities), spend half the day doing team building theory type things, and the 2nd half of the day solving fun problems & participating in as yet unknown activities.

I know that there are lakes. And stuff. Including various items of everyday machinery which have been amended slightly, so that they do unusual things...

I've attended Team Building days before, and pretty nuch the only thing I protest at these days is that stupid exercise where you get up on an oil drum, close your eyes & fall off. A circle of colleagues theoretically will catch you.

WTF does that teach you anyway? I refuse to do it anymore on the grounds that a drama teacher at college used to make us do it & anything with that much vintage has got to have been superceded by something sensible (much like electro shock therapy has given way to drugs - well probably not much like that, but we can hope).

Anyway, even though I don't know what's in store, I am prepared. I'm assuming that when presented with any task or problem, we are free to use whatever tools are at hand...

In my case what will be onhand, indeed, upon & around my person, will be a Swiss Army Knife, a small but very powerful torch, a cordless drill, 20 metres of river rope, a camera a flare gun, GPS phone, sun hat & pepper spray. As I've said, I've done these things before & if I have to blag my way out at the end of the day, I will. I will survive.

There is no "I" in "Team".

Too bad.