Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Last of the summer whine..

Well probably not my last whine this summer. Nor wine come to think about it... but here's a reasonably accurate assessment of the gruelling fare that made up National Radio's summer programming.

Public Address | Random Play

And my gripes about it too.

I could put up with the excruciatingly light rubbish that replaced morning report, because when I was on holiday, I wasn't listening, and when I was back at work last week, I wasn't listening, except to the news & weather.

but the weekends? Can someone from on high in National Radio please publicly promise that next year, we will not be subjected to anything involving Garrison Keillor?

Man, he is BORING! He makes Milwaukie (or is it Minnesota? Anyway, wherever & whatever...) sound cold, boring, and still living in the 1950s... man, if I wanted that I'd go live in Ashburton.

He is NOT funny! Ok, I once tuned into someone who sounded a lot like him, and I thought, hey, he IS funny after all? But it turned out to be someone else (whose name I have forgotten, but he is of Native American extraction & amongst other things was recounting how he failed to get residency in NZ because he "was not THAT kind of Indian". Anyway, HE was funny, Keillor is not.

One thing I did enjoy though, was after work hours, Simon Morris presenting a music show called "You had to be there" or something like that (look, I'm not about to go look it up), which was a selection of "cult" music & musicians. That was hilarious. I never knew Tod Rundgren sounded so much like Burt Bacharach!

And Anita McNaught was quite good. Listened to her speaking with David Slack yesterday while goofing off from the gardening programme scheduled for me by my work supervisor. Shakespeare as management text anyone?

Anyway, it was surprising relief that I tuned in this morning to hear Sean Plunket giving someone a grilling.

Let him loose on Garrison I reckon.