Friday, March 11, 2005

Northern Lights

A few years ago, I gave M a copy of Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights. But it was too soon & after a few pages it got shelved...

Recently it came back with a vengeance, & M devoured it one weekend so that I've had to supplement it with the sequels.

It got pressed onto me last week, and I have to say it's pretty good.

The story of Lyra, a troublesome young girl, and her personal daemon... um... Pantyliner or something... trying to save her father, the exiled Lord Asriel, and evade the clutches of the evil Mrs Coulter who is causing children to disappear all over the country, for some nefarious purpose...

I wouldn't say it's as good as The Lord of the Rings as some have (you might argue though).

And the Evil Mrs Coulter has more than a touch of the Cruella De Villes about her... the daemons are cute though.

But I'll have finished it this weekend & am looking forward to the next one in the series.

Hmm... I just read that the whole trilogy is a reworking of Paradise Lost.... I hadn't picked that up. Maybe it becomes clearer later...