Monday, July 30, 2007

Jeremy Brett IS Sherlock Holmes

That's what it says on Volume 1 - Collectors' Edition of an otherwise untitled DVD Box Set.

5 stories, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Dancing Men, The Naval Treaty, The Solitary Cyclist, and - hang on tight folks - The Hound of the Baskervilles!! Yay!

Jeremy Brett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many movies & series that I think to myself - I'll snap that up if it ever appears on DVD! But I usually don't.

This time I did. Reading the wikipedia entry on Brett, who without any trace of irony or hype really WAS Sherlock Holmes, I am surprised to find that not all the stories were filmed before his death. I wonder which they didn't get to?

In the late 80s, I used to sit around a sharebrokers' boardroom table (while ostensibly waiting for backups of a computer system to finish) drinking wine, scarfing leftovers from the kitchen & chatting with a bunch of youths stuffing letters into envelopes - Brendon, Andrew, the lovely Sue Abernathy, and some other guy, watching Brett as Holmes on TV, while I lauded the series and its star to these ignorant folk.

I daresay I changed their lives.