Thursday, December 08, 2005

Awards. And the winner is....

Well here I am getting all worked up at the prospect of blitzing the 2005 Weblog Awards for best Ocker or New Zild weblog. In case you've been on Mars or something, or not actually coming here for updates... SunnyO is a finalist.

This sounds fantastic! But not many more than the finalists got nominated anyway, so it's not like SunnyO is necessarily one of the 15 or so actual best blogs in the region. And some of the nominated who didn't get in are pretty damned good.

And in fact, if I hadn't made a pretty broad hint, it's unlikely SunnyO would have been nominated anyway (thanks Martha, Noizy, Sue & Miss Seph). But that doesn't matter, we're in! I say "we" because like King Kong, SunnyO is a team effort, you might think that this is a one man band, but that's because we go to great pains to present a consistent image by utilising what looks like one front person, making all this up.

But actually, we're a team of 350 or so, producers, writers, editors, photographers, web designers and marketing people. Not to mention lawyers, accountants. under-employed payroll clerks, parents (to thank in the acceptance speech), wives, husbands, children, and livestock, oh, and livestock wranglers, stuntmen & women, and fluffers. All of whom work around the clock to bring you this blog. Oh, did I mention the groupies, sponsors, caterers & dealers?

Anyway, that's of no consequence.

I was thinking about the way the Weblog folk decided to arrange the voting. And I really can't figure their rationale. Everyone can vote multiple times so long as there's a 24 hour gap between votes. In a way, I don't think this is as fair a method as say the Netguide awards where everyone gets one vote only. Although the multiple vote method probably does give us a better chance. If we could persuade a couple of hundred people to vote each day. But that's unlikely.

Actually, if there really were 350 people involved in this blog we'd be a shoo in obviously. As it is SunnyO is (at this moment) coming 3rd, with a paltry 40 or so votes. Coming first is Tony Blair, with over 400 votes. I'm told he's the Ocker version of David Farrar (is that a fairly discomforting thought or what?), this guy has legions of followers. A miracle is required.

But this IS Christmas.... and I am an optimist.

Coming second is Silent Running, with around 80 votes. I haven't looked, but I'm presuming this is a blog about space stations & cute robots. I am baffled as to why this should be so popular. Maybe they have lots of family & friends...

This may* be the last time I mention all this. But at least I have the slightly ego boosting opportunity to put a finalist banner on my sidebar.

So let's all vote eh? Do it for Oscar**, and Snowflake.

* Or may not.

** Who left this world last night peacefully, and with dignity.

And thanks too to everyone who has given me an online plug, including those mentioned above, Dodderyoldfart and my old mate Mike, and anyone else I may have missed, including all who have voted. I'll make sure I mention you all in the acceptance speech. And who knows, maybe there will be chocolate, and Jessica Simpson naked.

The Weblog Awards: VOTE!! Best Australia or New Zealand Blog Archive

And hey, at least we're beating Sir Humphrey's :) Although should that last comment come back to bite us in the arse, I shall show good grace.