Monday, December 05, 2005

Narnia Kits sent to churches.

I read the interesting article in the Listener about Narnia & Christianity, in the weekend. Interesting to note that Harry Ricketts said the books were spoiled for him when he was told about the allegory.

I wouldn't go that far. But I was very surprised at how blatant (and less engaging) the series became in the later books.

New Zealand's source for entertainment news, gossip & music, movie & book reviews on Stuff.co.nz: Narnia kits sent out to churches

Anyway, I don't care if Narnia is Christian allegory or even propaganda. I just hope that this sort of marketing doesn't spoil it for some people. But then again, how many kids are going to be exposed to the Narnia kits at church anyway?

And... I wonder if Kong Kits have been dispatched to zoos?....

Update: Since I'm in here editing out some spelling mistakes... what's actually wrong with it being Christian allegory anyway?

Further Update: I just came across this from Richard Taylor, of Weta Workshops, and it says it all.

"To some, Narnia is religious allegory, to others it's a part of their childhood and their soul, and to be part of that kind of cultural significance has been the most important part of my life."