Friday, February 18, 2005

Farnsie nixed. Irreverent ANZAC musings follow...

I feel the urge to weigh in on this one...
Concert in a cemetary

when I heard about the fuss, and the choice of John Farnham to perform at this solemn occasion, one thought crossed my mind (possibly one more than usual):

"Was Rolf Harris unavailable?"

His Sunarise is totally under-rated IMO. I remember, about 15 years ago, sitting on my sunny deck out back, National Radio blaring out of the french doors, totally relaxed after smoking a... very exotic cigar... and they played Sunarise. And it was magnificent. A revelation in fact. That song is one of the few mp3s I ever downloaded. Along with It's A Kind of Magic, but I digress...

Ok, granted, Harris's Two Little Boys might be more appropriate to the occasion, but Sunarise IMO is the apex of Australian music. Maybe it's the didgeridoos. Maybe it's because Alice Cooper covered the song on his 1971 Love it to Death album (the electric guitars don't quite cut it though) and there was nowhere near the outcry there was when Rolf covered the highly over-rated Stairway to Heaven (in fact there was no outcry at all). Maybe it's because I think Harris was didgeridoodled out of his rightful place as an Australian "legend" in the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony - they could have sandwiched him somewhere many would like to be, between Kylie & Elle Macpherson. Or instead of Crocodile Dundee. I mean, wasn't he a champion swimmer? I think he was.

Come to that, was Kylie unavailable also?

Holy hell... Rolf has a website. You can buy Rolfabilia (that sounds like the product of too many pints & kebabs actually).