Friday, July 08, 2005

October 14, 2066

Norman Horseman. Pleased to meet you.Been reading a few sites & articles recently trumpeting the London win of the Olympics over Paris. Some of them bizarrely, even tie that back to the recent Battle of Trafalgar re-enactment.

"We beat the French! We beat the Germans! We beat the Dutch! We beat the Zulus!" etc. And we're not talking football.

Anyway, fair dues. And one site did mention how gracious the French ambassador was at the Trafalgar commemoration, "It's history, Nelson had a very good force & game plan. The better team won. Naval warfare was the winner on the day." Or something like that, it loses a bit in translation.

So... I'm wondering if the UK & France will be commemorating the Battle of Hastings in 2066, which was the last time the UK was invaded I believe, successfully or otherwise.

I'm quite sure the Brits will be equally as gracious as the French Ambassador was at Trafalgar.

BTW: I mean, I don't want to look like I'm blagging the Brits on a very tragic day for London. I'm not. In fact, I was impressed watching the emergency services people last night, and even the survivors, at their attitudes & pluck.

And I was impressed with Blair & his words. Haven't heard Red Ken yet, but I have read that he's very moving too.

I just don't understand this antipathy between France & England. Get over it already.