Friday, July 01, 2005

Today's Lesson:

Avoid zealots (of any persuasion) at all cost.

David Farrar: The Debate

Too many people for the time they allowed. I was a bit surprised that I found myself nodding in agreement with some unlikely people. However, there were so many there, I can't recall exactly which unlikely people I'm referring to. Was neither Hide, nor Key though.

Had to laugh at the guy who "wrote a letter to the newspaper", and the other one who expressed his heartfelt trust in the government.

Brilliant.

Impressed that John Key eclipsed Maharey easily in the "Smarmy" stakes. A politician to watch obviously.

Most of them were predictable.

Unlike some viewers (click on the link above & read the comments), I thought the show was pretty balanced in letting the sides speak.

Wasn't Prof Winiata of the Maori Party a surprise? Someone suggested they're more akin to ACT in their tax policy. Heh heh...

And Rodney Hide... I've said it before, but let's hope for the sake of his career, he's a quick learner at ballroom dancing...

At the end though, I found myself undecided still. I can't see tax cuts will make much difference to our household.

So if tax cuts can be afforded, without negatively impacting services & will not increase interest rates... the have at it.

Although one other thing... I cannot believe people who trumpet that the market reforms of the 80s & 90s are responsible finally, for the fine economic shape we are in now. Per-LEASE (Jack Palance bounds in - "BULLSHIT? Or Fact!")

Bullshit.