Friday, July 29, 2005

Hen Wlad fy Nhadau - The Welsh National Anthem

Still the coolest flag in the worldHen Wlad fy Nhadau Geiriau Cymraeg (Welsh Words)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mad,
Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed.


In a way, I only post this because the Welsh language looks so... incomprehensible & amusing. I studied Welsh at school for a year & came last in my class. In my defense, I arrived halfway through the first year (it was compulsory I think), and left halfway through the second. The only phrase I can vaguely remember is the Welsh for "How old are you?" (Beth ydu henechy? - or something like that). And that caravan in Welsh, is garafan. And "Welsh Television" is "Teledy Cymraeg". Perhaps. No responsibility is taken for my dismal Welsh spelling here. But rejoice, the anthem was cut & pasted & should be OK.

I used to have to sing this at school assemblies (not the year I studied Welsh). I think we even knew what the words meant.

The website does advise that the English version is not a literal translation, I think there might be more mention of painful inflictions visited upon the English with sharp and/or red-hot implements. But that might be my memory playing tricks on me.

Still, I can tell you from experience how grand it sounded wafting over the terraces at Cardiff Arms Park... Go visit the site & have a listen by all means.

Hat tip to MiramarMike...