Friday, August 12, 2005

Oh... THOSE Asset Sales....

Titter. I didn't see it, so I'm not sure what the actual words were, but what I've read suggests it was something like that. Hopefully I'll catch that bit on a replay sometime.

Meanwhile - the retardometer:

Three Point Turn - Tale of the Tapeworm

Heh heh... the "Blandwagon..."

But anyway... Solid Energy? Who cares? Coal is a thing of the past. Coal fuelled the Industrial Revolution! Coal nowadays, will fuel lots of negative Kyoto carbon credits... I remember, many years ago, reading a report by two guys who predicted, and sold to the government of the day, that there would be a fourfold expansion in demand for coal, and the industry geared up to meet that demand. And um... demand for coal actually halved, and lots of people lost their jobs. Except for the two guys who reckoned demand would increase by a factor of four - they were made CEO & Vice CEO... Who needs coal when we have wind farms? If wind farm neighbours complain, lets start a coal mine next door to them instead...

And Landcorp farms? I don't even know what these are - bet they'd make great lifestyle blocks if they were carved up & sold to BMW driving wannabe city-farmers though...

Anyway... shortly before I left work last night, I got a call from Mrs Llew, who had just arrived home with a truckload of ingredients needed to prepare sundry repasts for 20 or so adults & children, asking if I knew of any reason why there might be a sign taped to our front door proclaiming "Contact Energy regrets that you were not at home to allow us access to reconnect your gas supply." I didn't.

So 20 or so guests, no hot water, no heating, no cooking. Shortly after I arrived home, a sheepish gas company representative who had been spoken to by Mrs Llew, visited to explian they'd done this to the whole street & a neighbouring suburb & that he'd be busy for some hours yet...

And then Wilma & I departed for our walk, without, thankfully, a von Trapp family entourage.

At the lawn, events took a pleasant turn when George, a fellow dog walker, turned up with a back pack full of shiraz & plastic glasses & announced that it was Nero, the labradoodle's birthday. And so a group of us spent the next hour or so, chinwagging & drinking. I'd left my phone at home & was unaware that my delayed absence from the scene of frantic catering was causing ructions...

Arrived home to find the worm's reaction to my extended walk was decidedly negative... but managed to keep my head down, pitch in belatedly, shoo the kids away from the Simpsons & set the video for Dr Who.

Dinner was delicious - kids ate butter chicken, adults ate blue cheese quiche (yummy). Ambience briefly disrupted by 2 of the children, a brother & sister, engaging in some quite serious fisticuffs beside the dinner table (rapid exit of the first 3 guests...). Rest of us got down to serious drinking, and veiled barbs at how some people use pets to shirk their domestic responsibilities...

Slight headache this morning....